Salary range: Competitive salary based on experience
Benefits: Unlimited Vacation, health, dental and vision, 401K Match
Reports to: Head of Intelligence
About us: Iron Light is a change agency with advocacy at its core. We team up with public, private and nonprofit organizations to create a world without limitations on human potential. The secret to our success is content rooted in neuroscience, design rooted in empathy, and advertising rooted in sociology. Our core offerings fall into these main categories: research & strategy, branding, digital marketing, storytelling, content creation through impact.
As a Data Science Manager, you will:
- Develop modeling pipelines to predict support for issues, causes, or candidates by scoring survey data against a voter file.
- Enhance the ability to leverage identity and entity resolution, matching and unifying profiles across large public and consumer datasets to add value to existing data sets.
- Assist in building voter file-based models for demographics and issue support.
- Create end-to-end modeling pipelines for producing high-quality estimates of public opinion and voter behavior at a rapid pace.
- Improve pipeline reliability, data quality checks, and model diagnostics to increase confidence in our modeling outputs.
- Conduct modeling experiments, perform feature engineering, and contribute innovative ideas to enhance our core data science approach.
- Provide actionable guidance to internal stakeholders, helping them understand the nuances of model outputs.
- Develop subject matter expertise and critically analyze data trends to differentiate real trends from potential bugs.
Skills & Experience:
- 5+ years of experience with cloud platforms like AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Proficient in Python, R, or equivalent languages, as well as SQL.
- Knowledge of Bayesian statistics and modeling.
- Experienced in developing complex data pipelines using technologies like AWS EMR and Apache Spark.
- Strong data visualization skills and an interest in public policy
- Familiarity with statistical significance testing, correlations analysis, and multivariate analysis techniques is a plus.
- Passionate about data-driven approaches and strategic thinking.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Some Characteristics That Define You
- Internally motivated self-starter who thrives on overcoming challenges.
- Critical thinker capable of understanding and addressing complex client questions, leading research plans, and delivering transformative insights.
- Collaborative team player with the ability to initiate and drive projects to completion.
- Passionate about research and specialized projects across various areas of the product and services lifecycle.
- Upholds and demonstrates leadership aligned with Iron Light’s core values.
Culture exists in every organization – the question is whether it is purposeful or not. Iron Light’s culture is built on adherence to our values. If you do not abide by these values, you will not succeed here. They are a part of each employee’s review process and we take them very seriously.
It is our responsibility to be on the cutting edge of our craft in order to make better strategic decisions – and that requires curiosity about the world. We are also curious about ourselves and our work: including our strengths, weaknesses and actual performance.
We work with a lot of funny people. But humor is about more than jokes. Being in good humor is about being pleasant and seeking to provide joy to others. The antithesis of this is being an asshole. No situation is made better by being in bad humor. It’s only made worse.
We always tell the truth. Personal pride is our No. 1 motivator – more so than recognition, remuneration, titles or other rewards. All of those are good, but they should not be the most important motivator. We deal with conflicts directly (with the responsible party) with respect and transparency.
We are typically the underdog in our work. Our clients require tenacity and fearlessness to challenge the status quo – they don’t have a chance of succeeding without this audacity. We embrace that. We give our clients the confidence they need to take on the most daunting challenges.
We keep our organization focused on helping people grow and develop to their maximum ability, even if that means they may leave us for new opportunities. We are stewards of our clients’ funding, and as such we work each day to provide value for their confidence in us.
We are a team, first and foremost. While everyone has his or her role, each role has equal value and must be treated with respect. We focus personnel decisions on putting people in roles where they can excel.